Monster Squad is a new Seattle studio established by team members from the Torchlight and Borderlands series. We’re a small team of accomplished and motivated developers who strive to be more than our roles. Our size and culture help us build quickly and pivot as we create the experiences our players love. As such, we’re seeking an experienced “Backend Director” who loves wearing multiple hats. Get in on the ground floor, hire your dream team and then roll up your sleeves to write code and implement the features you love.
As our “Backend Director” you will own the online services that best support our game vision. Lead the development of low-level network features and optimize performance around an action-driven multiplayer game. Where services don’t need to be reinvented, you will lead the evaluation and integration of licensed solutions. Ensuring a robust, scalable and seamless online experience is your way of supporting our community.
- You will architect, direct development of and write code for the online game services we grow with our community.
- Build and guide the team responsible for developing and deploying our backend.
- Develop, debug and optimize network code for gameplay systems and data collection
- Work with external vendors / partners to integrate licensed online services, manage deployment, and launch our game on multiple platforms.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience developing and supporting distributed systems and secure networking for online games. You have solved the problems that hamper live games and know how to develop solutions that scale in a live environment.
- You have built and lead teams of engineers.
- Written code in C++ (we are working in Unreal 4).
- You have developed and deployed scalable applications on cloud platforms (Google, AWS, Azure).
- Excel at open, honest and above all, empathetic communication across all disciplines.
- You are a self-starter who loves leading creative teams and collaborating with other highly motivated individuals that afford you ample time to code.
- UE4 Experience
- Have integrated network features from backend platform providers (i.e. PlayFab, GameSparks), gaming platforms (Steam, Discord, PSN) and devices (Xbox, PlayStation, etc..). Extra bonus points if you’ve done so in UE4.
- Have a passion for system monitoring, data analytics, CS tools, and security.
- Work with a team of developers who inspire each other to build the next big thing. We're also really nice people.
- We encourage individual responsibility and believe those doing the work are usually most informed to decide.
- You will help shape who we are along with the games we build.
Monster Squad is a startup committed to our employees. We care deeply about building a culture of trust and support that looks out for our team's well-being. We offer comprehensive benefits, flexible work hours, and self-directed open PTO.
As an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Interested? Send us an email at email@example.com with your resume.